Differences between new premium Peloton Bike+ and original Peloton Bike
After being officially announced yesterday, the new premium Peloton Bike+ was made available for sale this morning. This was a small milestone in and of itself – marking the first time Peloton launched a product for sale in all of their markets (US, Canada, UK, Germany) at once!
Update: We have a hands-on review of the new Peloton Bike+ as well now. Check out the review and video here.
In this article, we’ll go through the pricing details, dive into the specs and high level changes, and wrap up with a number of FAQs – we’ll continue to update the list so check back or send us in your questions!
Price Information for Peloton Bike+ and Peloton Bike
Along with the new Bike+ being available for sale, the existing bike (now known as just the “Bike”) was lowered in price today.
The table below shows the pricing information for both the Bike and Bike+ in all markets – US, Canada, Germany, and the UK. Prices in all markets includes delivery and assembly, but excludes taxes or VAT.
|Bike+||$2,495 USD||$3,295 CAD||£2,295 GBP||€2,690 EUR|
|Bike||$1,895 USD||$2,495 CAD||£1,750 GBP||€2,145 EUR|
Peloton is offering a trade-in program for current owners interested in upgrading, and some partial refunds for those who recently purchased – see the FAQ section for details
Premium Peloton Bike+ New Features
The premium Bike+ has a number of new features, hardware tweaks, and other changes. We’ll highlight a few of the top level items that changed, and then detail some of full specs.
So what’s new on the Bike+?
- New 23.8″ rotating video screen
- Improved Speakers (“High-fidelity four-speaker sound system”)
- One-touch GymKit integration for Apple Watches (i.e. using your Apple Watch as a heart rate monitor)
- Auto-Follow digital resistance system (optional feature to automatically change resistance based on what instructors say)
- Adjustment levers changed to knobs.
Also new is the news that bike-based bootcamp classes will be available, taught by Jess Sims, Cody Rigsby, and Robin Arzon. These will be available for both the old Bike and new Bike+, although new Bike+ users might have an easier time thanks to the swiveling screen.
Specs, Comparison and differences between original Peloton Bike and new Peloton Bike+
|New Premium Bike+||Original Bike|
|Footprint||4′ x 2′||4′ x 2′|
|Dimensions||59″ L x 59″ H x 22″ W||59″ L x 53″ H x 23″ W|
|Total Weight||140 lb||135 lb|
|Height range||4’11” – 6’4″||4’11” – 6’4″|
|Weight maximum||297 lbs||297 lbs|
|Ceiling height minimum||8′ to ensure riders have adequate headroom||8’ to ensure riders have adequate headroom|
|Space to store and train||24″ on all four sides||24″ on all four sides|
|Frame||Welded steel, ED & powder coated||Welded steel, ED & powder coated|
|Resistance||Magnetic with digital adjustment||Magnetic with mechanical adjustment|
|Drive||Poly V® power transmission belt drive||Poly V® power transmission belt drive|
|Seat||Sport series saddle with ergonomic center channel||Sport series saddle with ergonomic center channel|
|Pedal||Delta-compatible aluminum pedals||Delta-compatible aluminum pedals|
|Crank Arms||170 mm forged steel||170 mm forged steel|
|Bottom Bracket||Industrial grade bearings with ISIS splined spindle||Industrial grade bearings with ISIS splined spindle|
|Resistance Adjustment||Manual + Digital (Auto)||Manual Only|
|Handlebar Adjustments||Vertical/height only, not front/back or fore/aft||Vertical/height only, not front/back or fore/aft|
|Technology (Screen/Monitor Specs)|
|Screen||23.8″ screen 1080p HD 10-point multi-touch||21.5″ 1080p HD 10-point multi-touch|
|Camera||8 megapixel front-facing camera with privacy cover||5 megapixel front‑facing camera|
|Sound/Speakers||2.2 Channel front-facing stereo speakers with 26 watts of total power and 2.2 rear-facing woofers||2-Channel rear-facing stereo speaker system with 16 watts of total power|
|USB port||USB-C charging port for devices||USB microport|
|Headphones||3.5 mm headphone jack||3.5 mm headphone jack|
|Bluetooth||Bluetooth® 5.0 connectivity||Bluetooth® 4.0 connectivity|
|Microphone||Built in 4 digital array microphone||Built in microphone|
|Processor||2.5 GHz Qualcomm QCS605 processor||2.0 GHz Mediatek MT8173 quad core processor|
|RAM||4 GB RAM||2 GB RAM|
|Memory||16 GB internal flash storage||16 GB internal flash storage|
|Wifi Connection||WiFi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac – 2.4GHz & 5GHz||WiFi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac|
|Ant+ Support||ANT+™ wireless||ANT+™ wireless|
|Wired Internet||100 Mbps – USB-C to Ethernet Adapter ONLY (not included)||100 Mbps ethernet|
|Voltage||100 V to 240 V||100 V to 240 V|
|Frequency||50 Hz to 60 Hz||50 Hz to 60 Hz|
|Amperage||3.25 A Max||1.2 A Max|
FAQs about the new Premium Peloton Bike+, including the upgrade trade-in program and refunds for people who purchased recently
- I want to buy the new Bike+ – when is it available for sale? The new Bike+ became available for sale around 7am ET on Wednesday, September 9th, 2020
- What is the delivery estimate / shipping estimate of the new Bike+? Current estimates are approximately 6-8 weeks based on responses from Peloton customer service.
- Are there adjustable handlebars on the new Bike+ Unfortunately not. On the original bike there is a third party device to add this – The Adjuster – (which potentially voids your warranty). It is likely this same company will create a third party solution for the new Bike+ too
- I own the original bike and want to upgrade. Can I? Yes! Peloton’s exact answer on this is “Owners of the original Peloton Bike in the U.S. only are eligible to trade in Peloton Bikes that are in working condition. When you trade in, you’ll receive a $700 rebate and a free Yoga & Toning accessories set, and we’ll come pick up your current Peloton Bike as part of the trade-in package. “
- Can I trade my Peloton Bike in for the Peloton Bike+ in the UK, Canada, or Germany? Officially, not yet. Unofficially, Peloton has stated that they are looking at expanding the trade in program into these markets. So more information on this is likely coming soon
- Do I have to decide about my trade-in before I purchase the new Bike+? How long is the trade-in program good for? – Peloton hasn’t formalized all the rules for this program yet, stay tuned. However, at the time of purchase of the new Bike+, there is a checkbox for you to opt into the trade-in program.
- My original bike isn’t delivered yet. Can I change/upgrade my bike to the new Bike+? Do I lose my order in line? – You can upgrade (at an additional cost). However, Peloton hasn’t spelled out online anywhere how to do this yet, and is instead directing members to contact support.
- I recently purchased my bike, but now it’s dropped in price. Can I get a refund? Yes – for some people. The current wording on this is Peloton will be “automatically refunding Members who are still within the 30-Day Home Trial window or are awaiting delivery of their original Peloton Bike the $350 price difference plus tax, which will appear on your original form of payment in 7-10 business days.” If you’re at day 31 or more, you are currently out of luck.
- Can I get a refund if I paid in full? Can I get a refund if I signed up with financing (Affirm, Klarna, etc)? Yes. If you paid by credit card, the refund will go back to your credit card. If you signed up with Affirm or Klarna, you will see your total loan balance reduced. However, monthly payments will remain the same (you’ll just have less of them)
- I’m a brand new buyer of a bike but want to get the Bike+ instead. Can I? Yes – although you might have to wait a little bit. According to Peloton, “If you would prefer to return your current Bike and purchase a Bike+ at an additional cost and with added wait time, please reach out to our Member Support team and we will get back to you in the next 2-3 weeks with estimated timing to complete your Bike return and Bike+ purchase.”
- Will there be extended warranties available for the new Bike+? Yes
- If I buy a new Bike+, and have a Bike, does my warranty transfer or can I move it to my new bike? Unfortunately not. The extended warranties are tied to the device it is bought for, to the original owner. If you sell a bike, both the original and extended warranties are no longer valid. Similarly, they will not transfer to a new device
- What is the GymKit / Apple Health integration I keep reading about? Or NFC chip? Apple’s GymKit (or Apple Health Kit) allows for fitness devices, like Peloton, to communicate with Apple Watches. This allows your watch to display your power, cadence, or speed, and the Bike to display your heart rate. When your workout finishes, all your stats then save to your watch and Apple Health (along with to Peloton like normal) Even better, the Peloton Bike+ is supposed to have an easy one-tap setup for this. This is made possible by something called a “NFC” chip that will be in the new tablet for the Bike+
- Can I use this new GymKit / Apple Health integration feature on any other Peloton device? (the original Bike, the new lower cost Tread, or Tread+?) At this time Peloton has said it is only available for the new Bike+. There’s a slight chance we could see it on the Tread+ down the road.
- Doesn’t the new Bike+ and lower cost Tread use the same new monitor? Why can’t I use Gymkit & Apple Health Kit there? There are 3 possibilities here. One is Peloton’s marketing for the Tread forgot to mention it (unlikely). Another is Peloton is making 2 slightly different versions of the monitor, one with NFC, and one without (possible). The third is Peloton is simply choosing not to enable this feature on the lower cost Tread as it still needs some people to buy the higher cost Tread+
- Do I have to use the new “Auto-Follow digital resistance system” (where the resistance changes automatically?) No, this feature will be totally optional.
- Does the automatic resistance changes (“Auto-Follow digital resistance system”) work for live classes? No, this feature will only be available for on-demand classes. This is because it is based on the target metrics, and those don’t get broadcast live. This also means that feature might not be available for power zone classes, as those don’t typically have target metrics loaded for them.
- Will Peloton make some sort of upgrade to allow me to have my monitor swivel on my original Bike? No, this seems unlikely. However, there is a third party product, “The Pivot”, by Top Form Design, that will enable this feature. Note that it could technically void your warranty, so use at your own risk.
Want to be sure to never miss any Peloton news? Sign up for our newsletter and get all the latest Peloton updates & Peloton rumors sent directly to your inbox.
Leave a Reply